Who We Are
Child Care Now Alberta is a provincial chapter of the national parent organization Child Care Now.
Child Care Now Alberta is dedicated to advocating for a publicly funded, equitable, accessible, high quality, and culturally appropriate child care system in our province.
Our organization is non-profit, membership-based and regionally representative.
Our Origin Story
While our parent organization was founded in 1982, after the second national child care conference held in Winnipeg, the Alberta Chapter of Child Care Now is relatively new.
Bringing together voices from all sectors in 2020, Child Care Now Alberta is growing in size and relevance. As a direct result of the 2021 Federal Budget, which announced 30 Billion dollars in funding for provinces to build and expand a national childcare network, advocates across Alberta knew this was the time to mobilize further, in a more focussed way, for child care in Alberta.
Child Care Now Alberta is supported by a parent organization: Child Care Now, which has a broad membership base of individuals, families, child care programs, regional and pan-Canadian groups and organizations, and are overseen by a voluntary Board of Directors.
What We Stand For
- Child care is a cornerstone of progressive policy for children and families.
- Children and families have the right to access a child care system supported by public funds.
- Canadians deserve a comprehensive and affordable child care system that is publicly funded, equitable, accessible, high quality, and culturally appropriate.
- Families deserve a range of child care services for young and school age children.
- Those working in child care must have decent work, wages and working conditions.
What We Do
We keep Albertans informed about the latest news on child care issues and advocacy — provincially and across the country.
Child Care Now Alberta prepares a range of fact sheets, backgrounders and briefs on key issues. We campaign, inform and mobilize around child care in Alberta in a way that reflects the unique nature of our province.
Child Care Now Alberta aims to build a community of advocates that includes parents, families, caregivers, early childhood educators (ECEs), community leaders, government representatives, and all citizens to recognize and advocate for the right of every child to a publicly funded, high quality universal child care system.
Child Care Now Alberta organizes days of action, initiates campaigns and works in collaboration with other organizations, both in and outside of Alberta, to raise the profile of child care as a political issue and generate support for our aims.
We develop proposals for federal, provincial and territorial government action, advocate through briefs and submissions to the government and lobby all major federal parties. We respond to the growing threat from commercial child-care chains and we work with partner organizations to support initiatives that encourage the well-being of Canadian families including social justice campaigns related to poverty, women, education and health. health.
- Promote a vision of early learning and child care based on child care as a right of every child
- Monitor and respond to policy developments
- Raise public awareness of child care
- Expand licensed child care across Alberta
- Support high quality child care by regulating early childhood educators’ education and remuneration.
- Work with all invested political players at all levels (municipal, provincial and federal) to keep child care on the public agenda